NGINA 2017 Award Winners
The Nursery and Garden community's top organisations and outstanding individuals gathered together at Hawkesbury racecourse Friday night the 25th November to celebrate the annual NGINA (Nursery and Garden Industry NSW & ACT) Awards.
The awards consisted of a range of awards from the NGINA Awards of Honour, the NGI Industry awards for best businesses based on the National Awards criteria and finally our popular Members Choice Awards. With a record number of nominations for the Members Choice Awards the winners were voted on from a competitive field of entrants, all of whom demonstrate that they run excellent businesses.
Popular radio presenter, Phil Dudman, hosted the event, which took place at the Ted McCabe function centre at Hawkesbury Racecourse at Clarendon. The ceremony was filled with figureheads from the nursery industry, who joined the awards finalists to celebrate outstanding success across 24 award categories. In a race themed evening the ladies were elegant in their fascinators and the awards night ran true to form and was always a photo finish!
A highlight was the recognition given to Cameron's Nursery for their outstanding achievement in obtaining a Hall of Fame award for winning for 3 consecutive years the Environment Award.
NGINA Awards of Honour
NGINA depends on member support to cover the wide range of activities they are involved in. This couldn't be achieved without the support of those few members who go beyond the call of duty in order to get things done. Thanks to their contributions, energy and ideas; the industry is a better place for everyone.
- Tubestock Growers Group of NSW Perpetual Award - This is presented for an outstanding contribution to horticulture by any person involved or associated with the horticultural industry. Presented to: Stuart Swaddling from Tropical Plant Rentals presented by Bruce Higgs from Darvill Nursery
- Outstanding Individual in a Region or Special Interest Group Presented to: Leigh Brennan from Sprint Horticulture presented by Maree Curran from Eden at Byron
- Allan Seale Award - The Allan Seale Award is presented for an outstanding contribution to the horticultural industry by any person associated with the media in any of its forms. It is named in honour of Allan Seale, one of Australia's foremost garden media pioneers. Presented to: Phil Dudman presented by Maree Curran from Eden at Byron
- Life Member Award Presented to: Mal Morgan from Glenfield Wholesale Nursery presented by Doug Shelton
- Award Of Merit Presented to: Des and Val Leeke from Traden Tubes (accepted by David Foster NGINA in their absence)
NGINA State Awards 2017
These awards are based on the criteria for the National awards and are run every two years at a National level. The state winners then are judged against businesses from every State of Australia. In the â€œoff cycleâ€ years we continue to run these awards as it is about businesses striving for excellence in all facets of their operations.
- NSW/ACT Retailer of the Year 2017 (turnover $0-$1.5 Million) Country Elegance Garden & Gifts, Dungog presentation to Janice & Steve Bonamy
- NSW/ACT Retailer of the Year 2017 (turnover $1.5 Million +) Honeysuckle Garden Mosman presented to Jack, Tom & Peter Thorburn and Rohan Parker
- NSW/ACT Production Nursery of the Year 2017 (turnover $0-$1.5 Million) Honeysuckle Park, Dural presented Peter, Tom & Jack Thorburn
- NSW/ACT Production Nursery of the Year 2017 (turnover $1.5 Million +) Overland Nurseries, Arcadia presented to Melissa, Brent, Scott & Karen Tallis
- NSW/ACT Environment Award for the Year 2017 Cameron's Nursery presented to Sonja & Andy Cameron
NGINA Member's Choice Awards
This category of awards allows NGINA Members to recognise the industry businesses that they believe deserve acknowledgement.
- Supplier of the Year 2017 - Garden City Plastics presented to Craig Williams
- Best Regional Business - ACT/South West: Heritage Nursery Yarralumla presented to Bruno & Hedy Zimmermann
- Best Regional Business - South Coast: Jamberoo Native Nursery presented to Nathan Sparkes, Anne Hogan/a> & Geoff Bailey
- Best Regional Business - Central Coast Hunter:Bromeliads Australia presented to Jennifer & Jamie Larnach
- Best Regional Business - Western: Narromine Transplants presented to Alex Cliffe
- Best Regional Business - Mid North Coast: Bonny Hills Garden Centre & CafÃ© presented to Keith Hogan
- Best Regional Business - Northern Rivers: Bangalow Wholesale Nursery presented to Stuart & Tracey Knowland
- Best Regional Business - Sydney: The Green Gallery presented to Sharyn, Jeremy & Maurice Critchley
- Best Regional Business - Tweed Brunswick: Plantasy Nursery accepted by Des Boorman NGINA
- Rising Star of the Year 2017 - Engall's Nursery presented to James Adams & Jane Orr
40 Year Members
Industry associations like NGINA are heavily dependent on the loyalty and commitment of their members. Not only does this provide tangible support in the form of subscriptions, but often it is the voices of members which determine the direction in which the organisation should be heading.
- Crosbie's Nursery
- Royston Petrie Seeds Pty Ltd
- Overland Nurseries
- Parker's Place Nursery
Thank you to our Partners - Garden City Plastics, Suttons Trucks, Prime Super, Tower Systems, Yates, Commonwealth Bank and Brunnings Gardman.
Congratulations to all winners and thank you to everyone who entered .