Horticultural Production Grower-Manager | Humphris Nursery | Melbourne
We are a fifth-generation family-owned and operated business that is committed to producing quality plants, and introducing new ideas and products into the marketplace, as well as continuously seeking to improve, through efficient and innovative production methods. To accomplish this we need to employ motivated, passionate people.
We are seeking an individual who is ambitious, highly dependable and self-motivated to join our team and support the continued expansion of our four growing facilities in the Yarra Valley. It is essential that you are an experienced grower-production manager within a commercial horticultural environment.
The company operates a number of environmentally controlled greenhouses (+3 Ha) and fully irrigated outdoor and shade house growing environments and propagation facilities (+20 Ha). Humphris Nursery produces an extensive range of finished, container-grown products including Australian natives, evergreen and deciduous trees, shrubs and hedge plants, exotics such as Hydrangea, Camellia, edible berries and fruiting trees. We propagate and graft many of these lines in-house.
The Role & Responsibilities
The successful candidate will be an experienced horticulturist, assisting in managing our plant propagation and production processes, working with a fun team of enthusiastic managers, have responsibility for managing a team of +15 staff and have a passion for growing high-quality plants.
As Horticultural Production Grower-Manager, you will oversee the daily requirements of propagation and crop husbandry across container grown crops in the business.
- Ensure best practise is utilised in growing quality products with your proven skills in crop nutrition, irrigation, the appropriate use of PGRs, pest and disease monitoring and environmental controls
- Determine quality control check points and constantly review to ensure plant quality and quantity are produced to a scheduled sales budget
- Respond to all biosecurity issues as required
- Ensure that goals are set and clear communication and feedback to management is established
- Understanding of customers and their needs and liaise with sales and production departments to achieve these goals
- Ensure that a culture of continuous improvement to improve productivity is upheld
- A proven people manager and motivator, who can provide leadership in a hands-on, ‘can-do’ company culture
- Help maintain a safe workplace and adhere to all company policies and procedures
Required Technical Skills
- Experience as a manager/supervisor in a nursery production or related horticultural environment
- Proven experience in a similar role, with positive references
- A minimum of +5 years outdoor and/or greenhouse horticultural growing experience
- Ability to produce quality crops using a strong understanding of plant physiology, soil chemistry, chemicals/fertilisers, greenhouse environments and the external factors that influence plant growth and development
- Technical expertise in the fields of irrigation management, nutrition management, climate control systems, pesticides and growth regulators, mother stock maintenance
- Understand the requirements of crop scheduling to achieve sales budgets
- You must be able to demonstrate experience in problem solving and managing all tasks involved with the scheduling, potting and growing process of a range of crops
- It is expected that you have strong leadership and both excellent interpersonal and organisational skills, as well as the ability to communicate on all levels
This position implies an expectation of longer work hours, especially during peak times and the need to work in hot temperatures over the Australian summer.
You will be recognised and rewarded for the work you put in with a remuneration package commensurate with skills and experience. Annual salary and career progression reviews are an important facet of your growth in the company.
If you have a strong desire to continue your career in the Australian horticultural industry at Humphris Nursery, email your resume and personal cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org.
For more information on Humphris Nursery, please visit our website.