Senior Bushland Officer | Blacktown City Council | Blacktown, NSW
Job No: BC1672
Blacktown is a vibrant city located in the very heart of Greater Sydney, half-way between Sydney City and the Blue Mountains. It is a city of ambition and excitement. With a total of 54 residential suburbs, and population of 395,000 coming from more than 180 different birthplaces, Blacktown City is one of the most diverse communities in Australia.
Working in Blacktown City provides a wealth of professional opportunities. Blacktown City Council is the largest council in New South Wales, 4th largest in Australia and a leader in the development of the western Sydney region. With almost unmatched growth expected over the next 25 years, we are on an exciting journey of transformation to prepare for a population of more than 612,000. There has never been a more exciting time to join one of Sydney’s most dynamic and high-performing councils as we continue to deliver outstanding levels of service for our proud and diverse community and prepare our great city for the future.
Blacktown City Council strives to be an inclusive workplace for all people. We welcome and encourage applications from all ages and genders, Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander peoples, people from culturally diverse backgrounds, the LGBTIQ+ community, veterans and people with disabilities.
About the Opportunity
Do you have experience and qualifications in caring for our natural bushland areas? Blacktown City Council is looking for an experienced project officer to manage contracts, work-plans and volunteers programming bushland improvement works. Project works include bush regeneration and re-vegetation, wildlife protection and community educational workshops and events, administrating bushcare, managing grants, wetland maintenance and landscaping projects.
This is a permanent full-time position.
Qualifications & Experience
- Tertiary qualifications in a related field such as Bush Regeneration, Conservation and Land Management, Horticultural Science, Natural Resource Management or Environmental Science
- Demonstrated volunteer coordination and management skills
- Experience with the supervision and management of contractors and contracts
- Experience managing budgets and projects
- Ability to interpret regulation and policy
- Driver’s Licence
- 12 months' experience in a similar work environment
- Demonstrated experience supervising contractors and managing contracts
- Demonstrated experience working with bush care groups
- Demonstrated experience in administering and reporting on environmental grants
Remuneration & Benefits
The salary and conditions of employment are in accordance with Blacktown City Council’s Enterprise Agreement.
- A competitive salary range of $1,414.30-$1,583.90 (Grade 11) per week will be offered based on skills, qualifications and experience
- 35-hour working week
- Opportunity to participate in Council's flextime arrangement
- Employee benefits such as leave entitlements (where applicable), 9.5% employer superannuation contribution payable to the Local Government Superannuation Scheme, Fitness Passport and gym membership discounts, and social clubs
Our Commitment to Safety
Blacktown City Council is committed to safety. We have introduced alcohol and other drug testing at the pre-employment phase, and via a series of random tests, tests where there may be reasonable suspicion and / or post reportable incident testing for Council workers.
Please follow this link to view or download the position description and to access Blacktown City Council's online application process.