Nursery Operations Manager| Jayfields Nursery | Holbrook, NSW 2644
Jayfields Nursery is a specialised container grown wholesale plant production nursery that commenced operations in 1987 on the property ‘Jayfields’ 30 km north of Holbrook. They are located only one hour from the major cities of Wagga Wagga and Albury. The nursery is currently growing 6.5 million seedlings, grown for a variety of revegetation projects, large and smaller scale forestry throughout QLD, NSW and Victoria, as well as providing site preparation and contracting tree planting services to their clients.
Jayfields is recruiting a Nursery Operations Manager to focus on the establishment, maintenance and care of over 200 different species of native revegetation plants and mass production forestry requirements for their clients.
You will have a hands-on role as the Nursery Operations Manager reporting directly to the Nursery Manager/Owner in delivering on improvements in the Plant Cycle Management (PCM) process, i.e., the timing of sowing, grading, maintaining, preparing orders, and dispatching of native seedlings and Radiata pines to our customers. This role is paramount to ensuring that the nursery is continuing to implement the highest propagation and best practice techniques available with a focus on ensuring our plants are the best quality seedling ready for planting at the optimum time.
- Plant Cycle Management: Your key role is to manage the PCM and be responsible for all aspects of plant development through to delivery to our clients.
- Propagation: Responsible for ensuring all propagation techniques implemented are best practice standards including seed preparation and maintenance of our cutting orchids for mother stock.
- Plant health: Deployment of nutrient and/or insect control in accordance with plant health targets.
- Sowing/plugging: Manage the sowing and plugging process to ensure efficient management to meet expected timelines. Ensure seed preparation techniques are strictly adhered to including the maintenance and storage of our seedbank and database.
- Order management: Help pick, sort, and prepare large scale client orders in accordance with contract specifications and our nursery quality control requirements.
- General duties: Coordinate the logistics/deliveries of plant/rack movements and the general cleanliness of the nursery site.
- Weed management: Ensure weeds are removed and managed throughout the nursery.
- Nursery asset infrastructure: Ensure nursery assets are maintained and serviced. Items include but not limited to overhead irrigation booms, water infrastructure, igloos and sowing lines.
- Nursery development: Assist with developing best practice management of the nursery and its products through infrastructure, process upgrades and maintenance.
- WHS: Ensure WHS practices are implemented, followed and reviewed regularly.
- Staff management: Responsibility of the day-to-day management and mentoring of staff.
Essential Skills & Experience
- Minimum 5 years’ experience within the nursery/horticulture industry ideally within a wholesale production nursery.
- Post-secondary qualifications in horticulture or similar will be highly regarded.
- Extensive knowledge of plants, propagation techniques, plant health (including management of pests and diseases).
- Knowledge of machinery, infrastructure operation and maintenance requirements.
- Chemical certification qualification and current driver’s licence required (HR preferred but not essential).
- Strong communication skills (verbal and written) and ability to manage, mentor and lead staff with your expert experience striving to always improve nursery-related competencies.
- A team player who will fit in with our small and dedicated staff with a can-do attitude.
- Reliable, self-motivated and have effective organisation and time management skills. Ability to self-manage and work to strict deadlines.
- Commitment to quality and tasks, and ability to persist and accomplish work despite obstacles and distractions. Must take pride in their work.
- Attention to detail necessary for achieving established standards, ability to keep detailed and accurate records.
- Applicants should be physically fit as the role will require some heavy lifting and you need to be prepared to work in all weather conditions.
What We Offer You in Return
- A permanent and stable position and competitive salary package (negotiable on experience).
- Excellent working conditions in a beautiful rural environment with open and supportive management.
- Financial assistance to relocate to our rural area will be provided to the right candidate.
If you are looking to take the next step in your career and step up to Nursery Operations Manager role with an established and growing business in a scenic rural location (no traffic to get to work), then this is the role for you.
Send resumes to email@example.com with a suitable cover letter detailing why this role in a rural area would be ideal for you.
Visit their website for more information.